Thursday, September 2, 2010

What's Going On?


I promised myself I would not allow my frustration and hormonal changes to inspire my blog, but I have been freaked out for a few days now, and I have to purge.  I am not an idiot.  I don't spare myself the tragedies of the world.  I saw a program on TV, the other day, about a big problem in Tanzania.  I am normally not too shocked about anything, but I was so disheartened by this program.  I wished, after having watched the show, that I hadn't watched it. 
Apparently, a lot of people in Tanzania are born with albinism.  They have no pigment in their bodies.  The sun and bright lights are dangerous to these people.  But, the main thing they have to worry about is being killed and having their bones and organs sold to witch doctors!  It is a superstition in the region that albino blood and bones are blessed by "God".  These witch doctors purchase human body parts as if they were buying a cut up chicken.  At the time of the documentary, a four year old albino girl had gone missing.  Before the end of the documentary, they found her dead in the street... with her throat cut and her legs cut off.  How horrifying!  What a tragic story. 
As a parent, I have to wonder about the destruction that desperation and religion cause when paired together.  I worry, so much, about the state of the world in which my children live.  I also have to ask myself, what do I have to worry about that is as bad as having a child that is being watched and potentially hunted, every day, for his/her body parts.  I feel so helpless and hopeless.  I do lose sleep for that state of the human race.  I hope that our children, the children of the world, will be a little more industrious than we have been.  Maybe, they will be able to change things.
How to Help

No comments:

Post a Comment